Three Months On

Hello again and believe it or not, it's been 3 months since I'm back in Berwick. Within that timeframe, a lot has been going but it's also the process of getting used to being in the area again as well as living independently.

Just to refresh your memories, I've moved into a separate unit (or living space) in the other side of a house in Berwick where I have the living area, bedroom, combined kitchen, bathroom and laundry, car port and the backyard all to myself. That has been a seriously proud moment recently whereas the only option these days is to live in a sharehouse especially if you're single. But with the shortage of rentals currently, it's too hard and expensive for any single person to rent a house.

Nether less, then is the time to make the living space of mine more hospitable.

One of the early chores is to tidy up the sides of the driveway which was too bushy. I brought my Bunnings bucket, gardening gloves and pruners then set about trimming. And with the greenwaste bin provided within the property, the job can be done.


When that's done, I went an extra mile to pull out some obnoxious weeds including the backyard.


With the regard to feeding myself, I got the chance to put my new portable oven to good use. Once I figure out and some bits of trial and error to overcome, I've managed to cook meals like this one and I got into the habit of shopping at the Aldi supermarkets where they offer better value for money compared to the main two supermarkets; Coles and Woolworths.

There are some tips I took onboard. Aldi sell packs of roast chicken pieces which are cheaper than a pack of chicken breast fillets plus they're marinated compared to the fillets. It's a nice bonus by the way. Making pasta sauces using passata which are bottles of tomato puree are cheaper than the traditional tomato pasta sauces. The thing with passata is you can add whatever herbs, spices, seasonings and further ingredients as you please and the end result is having your hunger satisfied and knowing how proud cooking fresh feels.

Two more tips include buying products that are on special or clearance and the final tip which by the way is new to me is buying fruits that are in certain seasons. From there, certain fruits are abundant during harvest time and knowing how to eat healthy without spending big is a nice feeling to have.

Over time, my choice of meals has grown and diversified but I haven't just made the typical breakfast, lunch and dinner meals. This is the start of me making desserts.


This starts with this oatmeal crunch slice. This one in particular was the treat for one of the SECAN exhibition openings and there had been a strange moment when the president for the arts wanted to thank my mum for those slices but instead, I've mentioned to her that I made them. I'm happy to conclude my portable oven is my proud purchase.

Take away?


Within the outer south east area of Melbourne, you're spoilt for choice and I can still remember that back when I was living in Pakenham for 2 years. Although I use Uber Eats for Friday night take aways, this is a new thing of fish and chips that I've ordered. There's the fish and chip shop called Row Your Boat Fish Bar and after this first order, they've certainly won my approval. Their calamari rings being decently sized are the go. They're not too fatty or greasy which are the worst things about eating fish and chips, and now I know what choices I like to pick. Pizza is one of my favourite take away meals and the lucky thing where I live is there's Pizza eCucina being Victoria's best pizza parlour.


When a time comes for a day out, this is my first outing at the Melbourne Comic & Toy Fair north of Dandenong. At this fair, pop culture fans come over to buy collectibles on whatever tickles their fancies even talk to stall holders like I have done.


And lately, I've been opening up and accepting these kinds of interests, Pokemon included. There's also the nostalgia we enjoy when we were children.


In particular, the Angry Beavers. I've remembered watching this cartoon series on TV back when I was a boy.


That came about when I went looking at these Pop vinyl figurines until I came across the 2 angry braver protagonists. I only have 2 of the Pop vinyl figurines to date which are the Corn Flakes mascot Cornelius and a monkey like Pokemon, an Aipom. Sadly, I didn't buy anything but it isn't necessarily a bad thing as I just moved at the time but later, I'll come back and do so.


My session at the comic and toy fair also gave me a chance to go exploring and see what I like to do. With this particular stall, these tote bags and t-shirts are made by the stallholder's daughter and that is one fascinating moment. On my end, I've been lucky to sell things over the years and that idea could be up my alleyway and rather having people who moan about work, I find if anyone is clever and talented enough to create these kinds of products, at least it's more enjoyable making money using our own passions.


Collecting diecast cars is one of my nostalgic moments. I can even remember playing with these toy cars when I was a boy and building a good fascination with cars. I currently have my collection of Hot Wheels diecast cars but there are these particular containers where diecast cars can be kept. At that time, I've asked the stallholder about these containers. He told me they're available at Bunnings for $6 AUD.


Eventually, I bought these 2 diecast Audis at an antique fair. My visit at the Melbourne Toy & Comic Fair has been a fascinating idea. There have also been some good stories including people who came from regional areas including myself now live in the suburbs where there's more culture and everyone else is more open to talk about and enjoy. It also helps as reality escapes as you all know any bad things that happen here and around the world making us feel not too easy. The worst feeling is having a world that's a bad place. I've been well aware of that even when I've been growing up but on the other side, it doesn't have to be that way.

Next comes the time doing some home improvements.



I first started with the kitchen area which is in need for a declutter. With this dilemma, there wasn't much of a way of storing my kitchen utensils. That's when I've restarted my runs at Ikea buying racks and all kinds of useful furniture to even maximise uses of space. This is my first rack for my utensils.



A second rack to tidy up this corner. It's worth mentioning that I hadn't gone to my closest Ikea store for a few years and I admit it was hard finding where to go and vice versa but eventually, I'm relearning going to Ikea again.


With each Ikea store being big and comprehensive, they all have restaurants to help customers charge up eating those hearty Swedish meals like the meatballs with mashed potato and gravy. With the first visit at Ikea many years ago, there have been a few things that I've learnt including the flat pack pieces of furniture, all this have me converted, literally.

Now July is done and dusted, we'll now move to August.

On that month, I've done something new. I took on an online course for Autism Essentials and Professional Development and as I know very well as an autistic person and a strong need for more education about the autism spectrum, this could be a key.

There have been some extra things that I've learnt such as certain stimulis, neurological functions, issues of double empathy, language use, ways autistic people communicate and there's even a specific part of the brain called the amygdala.




As far as my understanding with the parts of the brain have gone, it wasn't far enough to that particular part. The key functions for the amygdala are the emotional processing (handling emotional responses with fear, anxiety, anger and aggression), fight or flights responses and memory consolidation that helps attach emotional meaning to experiences. That can make emotionally charged memories easier to store and recall later.

For autistic people, the amygdala grows at a faster rate and because it plays a major role in regulating fear and anxiety, they'll experience bigger fear and anxiety levels. It's quite a lot to factor in but nerve racking that I'll have to at least get 80% of the multiple-choice questions correctly and 3 attempts. But I've been pleased after my third and final attempt, I've passed and now obtain the certificate.

Something else that isn't as big are a next set of home improvements.


Where I have my coffee machine, water jug and kettle provided at my unit, this spot of nuisance lies with the 2-point powerpoint and using a few other appliances became a battle but I bought myself a powerboard.


And with that, the battle is no more but there's more to it.


With this section of the kitchen tidied up, a chance popped up for me to make refreshments if I have people coming over. And while I'm there, I went shopping at a T2 store where they sell tea products such as the packet of loose leaf English Breakfast tea and those 2 fun infusers.

I was making myself tea using the traditional tea bags but there are times for a change. Why every time I make myself a cup of tea using tea bags then to be chucked in a bin? That's when I've decided to take up the idea of using loose leaf tea so then the used scoop can be composted rather than go to landfill.

With that, I've made the opportunity to invite my uncle to visit my place for cups of tea with the difference. We both enjoyed the tea and a good catch up so in the end, I'm pleased to say that teabags are out, loose leaf tea is in. And later, I've had my parents stay over and I've made ourselves coffees. My place has been taking shape.


With another month lies a next load of home improvements. Earlier, I was using this end table as a bit of bathroom storage until this.



So then, another Ikea run and I bought this rack of drawers. Using my tape measure, I took the necessary measurements so that it can fit into this corner and so far so good. And now, I have the added convenience of storing my toiletries along with my set of towels rather than go to my bedroom to pick up.


Now to the living area. With my TV, I couldn't get any reception to watch prime time TV so I had to resort to using my DVD player to watch my DVDs and some Blurays. However, Google TV streamers are available and any user can watch what they want via this device. It's a cool idea from my parents as we're not particularly fanatical on what prime time TV has to offer but there are more fascinating things to watch from YouTube, Netflix and all kinds of streaming platforms. I even started watching Love on the Spectrum for the first time.


Over to my bedroom. I have this coat hanger compartment from Ikea that I've used back when I lived at a sharehouse earlier in Berwick. With the intention of re-assembling, I struck a problem. The bolts required to re-assemble were missing. However, the bolts and other parts can be ordered through Ikea free of charge and I'm thankful.



With the bolts required for re-assembly, this spot in my bedroom became nice and tidy. I shall give out a hint for anyone who needs to re-assemble their Ikea furniture. With each flat pack provides the assembly instructions and it's best not to discard them as each part has their own part number. So if you're missing a particular part, look for its part number, submit it to order at the Ikea website and then get it delivered.


Another new thing I've purchased is this particular t-shirt titled I'd Rather Be Clubbing. This is more literal humour as you can see with the pair of Ankylosaurus swinging their clubbed tails at the Tyrannosaurus. I've also been striving to get myself out there meeting new people.

Aside from SECAN and the Autism Valued social groups, I went out and attended a coffee and walk with the BeSocial group in South Yarra. I met a particular person, kept in touch and even went to the Roman exhibition at the Melbourne Museum together. This has been the experience that hasn't occurred much but grateful in the end.




This moment had been a decent one. We even learnt further on what life was like back in Ancient Rome, history classes at high school weren't further enough. The things we've learnt are their political system being brutal, how the Roman empire expanded from Italy to the whole Mediterranean Europe, England, Turkey and the northern coast of Africa including Tunisia, funerary inscriptions which were name plates back then and any dependable item is made from blocks of marble. Marble carvings are an extremely tall order so any mistake, start from another block.

But at least civilisation progressed, daily lives got better. Another friend of mine visited this exhibition earlier and she swore by that. After that, I've opened up to some other ideas to go to even going to the Old Melbourne Gaol for some night tours. But there is one thing for the very first time which I'll greatly enjoy.


This is the ticket to the Pax convention where pop culture fans come to play the latest computer and video games, others attend cosplay but this is all new to me. But I have another friend who I'll attend with and he's been a regular attendee for a few years. So there lies my journey making friends. I've had some serious struggles over the past years but luckily as I've been discovering myself, I eventually found some right people to talk to, be around and in the process to form friendships. I hadn't gone as far as an intimate relationship but I'll have to build up somewhere. 

With things coming up, others go. Since I've moved back in Berwick, there's also the process of downsizing my storage units now I can use most of the furniture but some should be moved on.




All these have been sold. During my time in Pakenham, they've served me well. I can even remember with my journey moving out, I wanted to buy home appliances that are energy efficient as much as possible saving me a potentially big hassle of paying high energy bill but weren't as bad especially with the fridge and washing machine. My commitment to having my own place and a life of my own has been a decent experience. And knowing I'm no longer a boy is a proud moment I should keep and as more and more people acknowledge that, I've become a more competent human being I am and why shouldn't I?

But in order to save some extra money with the downsizing of smaller storage units, it'll be a good idea to sell them for everyone else who needs them but are affordable. It was hard initially but I had to accept and it's a good idea for other people who've moved to new places and needing some furniture and appliances to start off with. There are a few stories from those who bought my fridge, washing machine and my dining set but the best things are compassion and anything that helps on the humanity side when everything else is grim.

With life, it doesn't end here. This is what's left at my storage unit.



The next stage is to move to a smaller storage unit making this the fourth.


Plus there are strange moments in life when things you want to end but decide not to. That's the case when there are cans and bottles littered across the area with no end in sight. At least with the Container Deposit Scheme, I can get some money from this kind of junk.

This whole journey still goes on. See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What To Do In 2026

Every Avenue

Further Creative Projects and Trends