Back For More

Hello you all. We've now passed the middle of 2026 and with many things I've been achieving, there's the even bigger moment I wish to bring up but before that, let me recap what's gone on since the few years and even when I started my new life for anyone else who's new here.

For a few years, I've moved to Pakenham to start my new life. I've rented a 2 bedroom unit with a single car garage. Things had been patchy but these experiences have provided me extra life experiences to learn and help me grow. Before that, I was originally from a small West Gippsland town of Neerim South. It's a quiet cruisy area dominant with dairy farms as my family were farmers. Recreation is big with fishing, off-roading and sports. Here's the bit for everyone else to see.


However, my life growing up hadn't been too rosy. Factoring my autism, I wasn't like everyone else. I hadn't been much of a social person, I've never been into sport, I don't understand jokes and when that happens, I got irritated and the biggest problem after my realisation for a few years is the level of ignorance and sheer lack of knowledge about the autism spectrum. This had been no doubt terrible. I've had serious troubles making friends let alone date anyone, troubles getting work and with the amount of differences on what the rest of the community are into, I hadn't fit in. There was this massive irony that I was diagnosed with a few mental illnesses requiring medication.

So when I've reached the point in my life that nothing else has panned out, I'm done being a Gippslander so then I've made the decision to move elsewhere. And when I've made my new lifestyle change Melbourne way, my life has transformed like never before. With the 3 years I've lived in the south east, difficulties had set in at late although too much so I had to move back to my parents. It was a seriously tough thing to do but I had no other choice. But I didn't want to give up though.

Throughout my time in Neerim South, I've looked at 2 ideas to move into such as a rooming house and even public housing. Both I've ruled out. There's a previous blog post on more about these moving ideas which I shall provide.

Every Avenue

Later, there is another idea of moving into an unfurnished room. That way, rents are affordable and I can use some of my furniture from my storage unit. But the whole idea isn't without trouble or so. It's when I've done the first inspection when a resident is renting out his spare room proved rather too small but there's the hassle of his timeframe to rent out the room so at this point, I've ruled that out.

Another problem as people rent out vacant rooms out, some allow female tenants only. So then, that left me where else can I go. There is one other idea however that finally closes this dilemma once and for all.

There's one particular place advertised at the Flamates website where people seek vacant rooms in sharehouses and/or potential housemates. That time was an experience I hadn't anticipated despite doing a second inspection but this is it.


And this is the particular house in Berwick where I took a look. But there's the extra part where if I become a tenant, this could become a home all to myself.


This part of the house I've looked at is pretty much a separate unit which has a big living room with a bedroom, a combined kitchen, bathroom and laundry, a car port with a garage door to close and an impressively sized backyard. With the bond paid, this part of the house is officially mine to live in and it's official that I'm back in the south east of Melbourne after nearly 2 years away.

Next comes the stage of getting into the swing of independent living again.


One of them is re-assembling my double bed. There had been an issue of finding the right screws but found them in a different spot but that came to show how long the likes of these pieces of furniture have been tucked away.


A few transitions even from West Gippsland and my unit is filling up to become a liveable home. I even found out my DVD player can play one of my CDs.


And then, I have a growing amount of empty boxes but they've been useful over the few years. The next matter is providing my own meals.


There's been the trouble of how to cook meals in my unit aside from the microwave, air fryer and an electric hot plate but damaged. I went on the Harris Scarfe website and came across this portable oven with 2 hot plates. I bought this one at the Fountain Gate Shopping Centre, carted it with my trusty Mechpro trolley and drove it away in the boot of my car no problem.


The first run took me getting a little used to. My first meal is my bowl of ravioli.


Eventually, I cooked this more traditional plated meal which in this case is sauteed chicken coated with southern style seasoning with boiled baby potatoes and steamed vegetables consisting of broccoli, cauliflour and sliced zucchini.



My lunches have also involved. I started off with chicken and lettuce sandwiches then moved to my more substantial bowl of noodles. I've added a can of tuna and some tomato pasta sauce which is a more fulfilling take on instant noodles.

Plus I've given myself a chance to use the oven function and that worked a treat especially baking my own chips with a Chicken Kiev with fish fillets and pieces of roast chicken. And there I have to be continued.


I'll bring you all to another matter. A series of storage units I've used. I first used this storage unit back when I had to move out of my rental in Pakenham and into a sharehouse. It was one of the big tasks that had to be done. I could have got rid of all this stuff, even sell the lot but I didn't want to throw all this out, let alone my life I've built up myself. I even kept my paintings which get given chances of exhibiting particularly the Noble Park Art Show 2 years ago as a first timer.

There have been some items I've taken out to be used if need be. It's been handy though but as monthly rents get expensive, there's the process of downsizing to save me some money. That first one was 9 square metres (97 square feet).


My first downsized storage unit came to 7.5 square metres (81 square feet). After I took that photo, this one was filled up and later, a few of my items have been taken out and used. But then came the move.


With loads of furniture taken out, this is what this unit is left with. So then, another downsize to my third storage unit believe it or not.


And this is it. There has been an idea of choosing a 4 square metre (43 square foot) storage unit but I felt it would be a little too tight. Later on, I'm open for some further downsizing but with things in life still await or yet to occur, it'll be wise for me to wait and see what happens next or when further opportunities await.

At least there'll be a new Repco megastore in Pakenham which'll open at the start of August and I've been fortunate to fill in rather than just working Tuesdays and Fridays at my current store. And both my fridge and washing machine have sold with the total of $450 AUD (equating to several months of rent).

And now I'm in Berwick, my social life can be rejuvenated as I wouldn't have to travel so far or let alone seek accommodation just to attend groups and events.


Before I've moved to Berwick, I was seeking accommodation in Pakenham to attend Autism Valued's Passion Project group in Box Hill saving me the long travels from Neerim South. The second and last place of accommodation was the Kookaburra Retreat north of Pakenham and I have to say that has been the best kept secret. I've been treated with this continental breakfast after my group attendance at night. This is the experience I'll never forget.

I'm now back for bigger things to come. See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Avenue

What To Do In 2026

Miraculous Person. Wrong Country? - Part 1